The Executive in Residence Program
OPM's Center for Leadership Development (CLD) offers an Executive-in-Residence (EIR) exchange program for Federal employees to gain unique insights into the leadership development and education process. These executives, on non-reimbursable detail from their sponsoring agencies, work with permanent CLD faculty and staff for twelve months with the possibility for shorter or longer assignments in special circumstances.
Executives-in-Residence are career government managers or executives who serve as visiting full-time faculty members, education specialists or program managers at one of our locations:
- Federal Executive Institute in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Eastern Management Development Center in Washington, DC
- Western Management Development Center in Denver, Colorado
The purpose of this program is to help develop a cadre of agency experts in executive and leadership development; collaborate with agencies on a variety of leadership and management issues and challenges faced by public sector organizations; develop and implement cutting-edge adult learning and performance-improvement strategies; and, engage diverse perspectives in designing, developing and delivering programs to meet the leadership- and management-development needs of the Federal workforce.
Agencies will benefit from their employee’s participation by: exposure to diverse and cutting-edge leadership development and adult education theories and strategies; acquiring or honing skills in developing and delivering education programs; and gaining insights on research on a variety of leadership and management issues. Participating executives will return to their home agencies with new skills and perspectives to apply in achieving agency missions.
Projects May Include
- Conducting research on selected leadership and management topics
- Developing, coordinating or teaching leadership and management seminars and programs
- Leading projects focused on federal leadership and management challenges and needs
- Researching, developing and implementing technology-based solutions for education delivery
- Developing and delivering presentations at national leadership conferences or interagency forums
- Conducting market research or focus groups with Federal Chief Learning Officers and OPM customers to assess current and future needs
Specific projects will be assigned based on selectees’ skills, interests and agency goals.
- Federal employee at GS-14 level to SES (or equivalent)
- Advanced academic study in leadership development, education and training, public policy, public administration, business, business development, information technology, international/global relations, organizational design or development, or other fields relevant to Federal leadership development
- Extensive leadership and management experience
- Home agency willing to sponsor the EIR opportunity by providing salary and benefits (relocation or travel costs should be negotiated between the sponsoring agency and their candidate)
Applicants should be self-motivated, have strong communications and interpersonal skills, take initiative, manage multiple tasks, and work as responsible and collegial team members.
This is an ideal opportunity for employees seeking details for SES Candidate Programs or career-broadening rotations.
U.S. Citizenship and successful completion of a background check is required.
Federal employees interested in applying for the Executive in Residence program should email a resume, supervisor’s endorsement, desired location and statement of what he or she hopes to achieve through an EIR detail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The supervisor’s recommendation should include a statement of the agency’s commitment to sponsorship for the period of appointment (paying salary, benefits and travel or relocation costs if applicable).
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
To learn more about the Executive in Residence program, please contact Maureen Higgins at 202-606-2855, or Sandra Wells at 202-246-1032, or email email@example.com.
OPM is committed to equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion. All interested candidates with the desired qualifications are encouraged to apply.