Leadership for a Democratic Society
The themes of Leadership for a Democratic Society program reflect and enhance the Constitutional underpinning of federal government work and the common culture of senior federal executives. Executives explore and build their knowledge and skills in:
- Values-based leadership – exploring the Constitutional and democratic roots of American society, examining personal leadership styles, and relating personal to organizational values.
- Transforming organizations – learning to lead positive change through effective strategic thinking and action planning, building coalitions and commitment, and creating positive learning environments.
- Policy in a constitutional system – understanding the unique context of leadership in the public sector and working effectively in the dynamic policy environment of the federal government.
- Global perspectives – understanding major trends in global affairs, recognizing global interconnectedness, and thinking like a citizen of the world.
FEI’s Leadership for a Democratic Society brings together executives from 25 to 30 domestic and defense agencies for a unique, four-week residential learning experience. Benefits reported by graduates of Leadership for a Democratic Society program include:
- Keen insights into their leadership strengths and areas for development
- Improved leadership and management skills, especially in such areas as team building, influencing/negotiating, strategic thinking, political savvy, and external awareness
- Improved organizational performance as a result of what was learned and later applied back on the job
- Dramatically larger networks for enhanced problem solving
- Increased appreciation for the importance of Federal service and increased understanding of the diverse talents of Federal executives
- Broader understanding of the Constitution, the policy framework in which executives must lead, and the interplay among major stakeholders at the national level
- Improved personal wellness and balance in one’s life
Industry, local governments, Not-for Profit and Education Executives can now enroll in the prestigious Leadership for a Democratic Society.
The LDS program is based on Constitutional values and historically reserved for senior government executives (GS-15, SES or equivalent). For additional information, please refer to the FEI Handbook, visit the Schedule at a Glance page, or contact the registration office at FEIRegistrar@opm.gov or (434) 980-6232.